Monday, September 15, 2008

I take it back, I take it all back!


What was I talking about, terrible twos? That must have been a blip on the screen, a trip over the threshold to 2-year-hood. John went to San Diego for 4 days a couple of weeks ago, over a weekend no less, but it turned out to be pretty easy. And pleasant! It's really different from spending 4 days alone with a baby... Evelyn's more like the friend who is super demanding, extremely high maintenance, thinks only of herself, and drives you crazy. But she says really funny things and always makes you laugh, you can never stay mad at her, and you can't help but love her.

While John was away, we went to a birthday party in Palo Alto -- Evelyn's friend Nicolas turned 2, just a few weeks after she did. I wish I had photos to post, but being on parent duty alone meant going down the slides every time, pushing swings, shoveling sand, and forgoing the usual party things like chatting with people, taking pictures, eating, etc. But you know, it was still pretty fun. At one point while Evelyn was in the baby swing, she pointed to the one next to her and said "Mama sit there?" I said, "No, Mama can't sit there. That swing is only for babies and little kids." Evelyn shook her finger at it, saying "Babies, kids only. Not Mama, Mama's too big."

We'd talk to John every night on the phone while he was away, and she'd repeat after me saying things like "Hi Papa. How are you? I'm good. I love you, Papa. Night night." A couple of times while John was away, she'd hold up her hands and say "Papa go?" and I'd tell her. Then one night after work, I came home and said "Where's Papa?" and Evelyn said "Papa San Diego!"

Even tonight, when John was working late and I put Evelyn to bed by myself, she said "Papa San Diego." I think she must have really missed him while he was gone, because she asked for him a lot more than I would have thought. A few mornings ago when John rode away on his bike to work, Evelyn looked positively sad as she stood in her customary spot in the window to wave goodbye. The tides are shifting. I wonder if and when she'll go completely to the other side and favor her Papa over me, the way they say kids (girls?) do. But, we're not even close to that right now. I'm still Number 1 and am happy to stay that way.

Good times with Baby Boy in Grandpa's backyard


The star of her birthday party at Nana's house

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh, thats a cute story. Im still reeling from the very quick transition from I can say your name to Im ordering you around now... "Jenfur sit down!!!"

Unknown said...

Awwhh...how cute that Evelyn missed her dad so much. But it's also so nice that you really had a great time with "your friend" while John was away.

I sure do miss you guys!

Losta love...